Thursday, March 25, 2010

Resiliency is a Process

     I woke up this morning EXHAUSTED! When April 1st comes around I will not have had a day off in over 40 days. (sounds like a fast). I woke up this morning thinking of everything I need to do today, about this past week and my various conversations with people in my ministry and people who I have to work with on a HUGE project here at church. I won't lie - I am ready for some time away. Honestly, I have been pretty beaten up this week. I'm not saying that I didn't deserve the beatings, it's just why did they all have to come within a couple of days of each other.  And had this been the case 15 years ago I probably would have just left. However, leaving or walking away isn't the answer. Sure, I might get some physical rest, but emotionally I would be a wreck because all of this work is waiting for me to do and people are relying on me to keep my act together and "produce". And yet, this isn't my first rodeo. I've been thrown off the horse, so to speak, and eventually climbed back on after a beating or two. So today I continue to plod along, put my nose to the grindstone, run the race, ...you pick the analogy.
     But isn't our faith a lot like this. If you are reading this and you are a follower of Christ you probably remember the day that you were able to say those words, "I am now a Christian". But that wasn't the end was it? It's not like saying those words made you immediately a better person. No, as a matter of fact ALL it did was allow God to see you as righteous and gave you the power to change, but it was a PROCESS. And as time went on you continued to face trials, heartache, and pain. But each time you did, and you made the choice to choose the "right" path, you became stronger - you became more resilient. Gordon MacDonald said this about resilient Christians, "...it describes a life-journey in which one walks in the ways of Christ and gradually becomes more like Him in conduct and inner orientation. Resilient people think in terms of a big picture, and this is one of the things they think about and ask themselves as they look down the road of their journeys: Am I becoming a Christian?
     So many times, as Christians, we do something stupid that the world sees and gives Christianity a bad rap. I wish the world could understand that Christianity is a process. When we get angry and loose our temper with someone, treat the cashier at Wally-world like an idiot, erase ALL your computer files on your work computer 'cause you got fired and your ego won't let you see that you are replaceable - I wish the world could see that we are imperfect and still growing and becoming resilient to the junk of this world. Romans 5:3-5 says,  "3 We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. 4 And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. 5 And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love." 
     I know you may be having a horrible day or week. Or maybe your week isn't horrible, but man you wish you didn't have to deal with some of the things going on in your life, so REJOICE! God loves you and me, He wants to fill your heart with love. I think about this every time I walk into a store and have had a long day and probably not in the best of moods. I ask the Lord to allow me to show love. That the love He has placed in my heart will be seen. When I do this - consciously - it is amazing how I see that person blocking the aisle with their buggy, or the cashier who will hardly acknowledge that I am standing in his/her line and keeps screwing up the check-out. I simply smile because maybe they are having a bad day too. Maybe they just need someone to acknowledge their presence with a simple hello or kind word. Maybe.