Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Frustrated Mustard Seed


     I had a very interesting conversation yesterday with several people who I trust and look to for feedback, ideas, help, and friendship. One of them I had not met with in some time and to be frank, she let me have it. My first instinct was to bow up and get defensive - fight back. But, again this was from someone I trust and value her input; this was not someone from the outside and maybe just didn't understand me or the ministry. And so I listened as she shared her frustrations about me and the ministry we serve and I desperately fought the urge to go on the offensive. Oh, and I could have, 'cause I love a good fight and so I always have ammunition in the chamber...but I digress. Let me get to one of her frustrations. 
      She expressed how frustrated she was due to the seemingly lack of "growth" or "change" within our group, especially our leadership. Previously before coming to our ministry she had been involved with ministries where people were uprooting their lives to go "change" the world. As she was talking about how frustrated she is with people when they hear a lesson or are challenged but not applying it to their lives I began to think of those in our ministry who had changed. Those individuals whose lives are completely going in the opposite direction of where they were headed 1, 2, or more years ago.
     And then I read Mark 4:26-32. 26And he said, "The kingdom of God is as if a man should scatter seed on the ground. 27He sleeps and rises night and day, and the seed sprouts and grows; he knows not how. 28The earth produces by itself, first the blade, then the ear, then the full grain in the ear. 29But when the grain is ripe, at once he puts in the sickle, because the harvest has come." 30And he said, "With what can we compare the kingdom of God, or what parable shall we use for it? 31It is like a grain of mustard seed, which, when sown on the ground, is the smallest of all the seeds on earth, 32yet when it is sown it grows up and becomes larger than all the garden plants and puts out large branches, so that the birds of the air can make nests in its shade." 
     Before I begin to dissect this parable I want to say that I too get frustrated at times when I personally cannot measure the growth of others, or see change in behavior, or able to count how many people are walking with the Lord and walking in righteousness. First of all it's not my job to judge this or even within my ability to see the change from within. 
     Back to the parable: Verses 26-29 talks about how a farmer scatters a seed, but really has nothing to do but watch it grow. It grows by itself without the help of humans. For me we are to spread the Word, but it is up to the Lord to allow that to grow. Secondly, 30-32 talks of the Mustard seed. How does one of the smallest seeds in the world grow to have enormous branches that provide shade, shelter, and beauty to others. I would like to point out one thing. Here Jesus was speaking of the kingdom of God. It was believed in His time that the Christ would come suddenly and overnight and change the world. However, Jesus says "look, the kingdom isn't going to happen overnight - it's gonna take some time." Jim's paraphrase
     I think there are times when we throw down a mustard seed, water it a little, put some potting soil around, go to sleep and then wake up the next day and expect to see a mature, fully grown tree. I'm not saying that there are those seeds that do seem to pop out of the ground a little quicker, grow to what seems like a mature adult that is reproducing, providing shelter, shade and a place to find refuge - but that's the exception and a-typical. 
     As my friend was talking about this I was thinking of a young lady who three years ago could be in a room, never open her mouth, scared to even discuss spiritual things, and most people wouldn't even KNOW she was in the room. Now, three years later she reaches out to new people, she enjoys the spiritual conversations, she is concerned for the spiritual growth of those around us. I thought of another young man who grew up under a different teaching of the scriptures/theology and see him now serving on one of our teams. How he has matured and grown. But this has taken years, not days or even weeks.
     So how does this apply to us. 1) I think this type of frustration is healthy and good. If there is not a frustration or dissatisfaction with where we are then why try. Why share the Word? Why reach out to those who are hurting? Why come together and worship? I love these conversations, even though they can be uncomfortable at times. These conversations help push me to be better, to strive harder, to reflect upon my actions, thoughts, and ideas. We need to be frustrated.
     Secondly, we must recognize that "growth" and "change" don't always come overnight. I would bet that change almost NEVER comes overnight or even quickly. We must remember that "...the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart." (I Samuel 16:7) We don't always know how long the Lord has been working within someone, we only see the decision that is made whether drastic, life altering, or even unnoticeable. But it's there. God is working. We must keep working!
     Thank you "friend" for this conversation. I pray that their will be fruit.