Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Body Blows!

     I read a Proverb once that says, "A severe beating can knock ALL of the evil out of you." How's that for an opening statement? I don't know about you, but when I get a beatin' I certainly don't feel like it's knocking anything out of me other than LIFE! These past couple of months have been difficult.  I have been dealing with several individuals who "do not play well with others". One person in particular even went so far as to make the statement, "Do you not know who I am?" (it probably didn't help that I laughed when I heard it). But, in-spite of me not taking him seriously, he has caused quite a bit of havoc. Usually this would not be a big deal, however, because of a lack of communication I have had to spend an inordinate amount of time running around to various people and meetings to figure out what is going on and finding answers/solutions for the problems that arise. I have been accused of doing this for the glory. I'm not saying that I don't appreciate the occasional paparazzi here and there, but this accusation is so far from the truth that, again, when I heard it I had to laugh out loud.  Dealing with some of the guys would be so much easier for me to just give it up, turn it over to someone else, sit back, relax and watch. But that's not me. The plan, vision and goal are worth getting a little stepped on or pushed around. When it comes right down to it, the problems that have risen from the lack of planning on other individuals is really not a big deal in the overall scheme of the world. It is simply just frustrating.   So dealing with people's quirks and inabilities to communicate (although I have my own quirks and lack of ability that other's must deal with) is really not a huge fight. More of an annoyance like that gnat constantly buzzing around your ear on a hot summer night while you're trying to fall asleep in a tent. So after taking a step back, laughing, I saw a way to lessen the blow, take it for the team and come out all right.
     Yet, day after day I visit with individuals who are in real fights and struggles. People who struggle with addictions, anger, bitterness, hurt, and down right loneliness. These things cause pain! These all can be major body blows. What do we do when this happens? How can we lessen the pain? Can we bob and weave? Or simply tighten the muscles in anticipation of the blow and take it?
     Sometimes the first thing we must do is take a step back from whatever situation we are in and look at the whole picture. Try to see what is causing the pain. Is this pain something we can control? If it is, if the pain we are feeling was because we made a stupid decision then sometimes it's just like the Proverb above. The beatings refine us when we do stupid things. The beatings remind us the next time we find ourselves in  a similar situation to make a different choice. We must remember the words Paul wrote to the people of Galatia. He (Paul) essentially told the people of Galatia that each and every day we will feel the pull of the world to satisfy selfish desires. To chase after those things that do no last. To long for the things that only provide a temporary happiness or fulfillment.  When we succumb to this we no longer allow the Spirit to guide us and direct our paths, thereby inviting the beatings into our lives. (I am loosely translating chapter 5).
     Sometimes stepping back out of reach of the blow allows that quick look at where you can attack. Sometimes God allows the blows to come in order to refine us and allow His will to take place. It is during these times that it is hardest. When we have done all that we can do, we are not being selfish,  we aren't looking for a temporary fix, or that immediate gratification in something temporal. Those blows are the hardest to absorb. And even if we can take a step back we aren't sure what is next, where to bob or weave, or how to attack. We simply just have to trust. Sometimes trusting is the hardest blow to take. Yet, God has promised to give us the strength to take it. To heal quickly. To have the peace that comes with knowing that God works all things together for His purpose and for His good. His good is what we are ultimately after. Some of you who read this are having a hard time seeing. I understand. I have been there in times of doubt, shame, frustration, and with no end in sight. I am here to encourage you. When you do finally get to the end of that suffering there is a peace and understanding. There is a new found trust and faith in Him who allowed it to happen. So keep your gloves up, stomach tightened, mouth piece in and head  gear firmly attached. You will make it. You will heal. You will overcome!